New Study Shows Increase in Medication Errors Occurring at Home

When researchers look into the causes of medication errors, errors are broken down into several categories. Two of the main types of Maryland medication errors are errors that occur in a hospital setting and those that occur in a patient’s own home.

When researchers refer to at-home medication errors, they are referring to prescriptions that are picked up at retailer hospital pharmacies and brought home, where the patient takes the medication without supervision. Hospital medication errors, on the other hand, are usually administered by a nurse or another medical professional while a patient is in in-patient care.

According to a recent study, the rate of at-home medication errors has been going up in the past few years. Researchers note that back in 2000, the medication error rate was 1.09 in every 100,000 patients. However, in 2012, that figure rose to 2.28 patients across all patient demographics except young children under the age of six. Researchers note that the errors most commonly involve cardiovascular drugs, analgesics, and hormone therapy medication.

The causes of the errors varied, but commonly cited causes were that the pharmacists provided the patients with the wrong medication or dosage instructions. Researchers found that about 30% of all medication errors required hospitalization, while the other 70% were treatable at home. Researchers also concluded that pharmaceutical drug manufacturers have a role to play in creating clearer labels for products that may look or sound alike.

Maryland Pharmacy Errors

Pharmacists, like other medical professionals, are under a duty to provide their patients with a certain level of care. While some errors can be attributed to the patient misunderstanding the dosage instructions, Maryland pharmacy errors involving incorrect medications or dosage instructions are preventable. These errors are usually results of a busy or overworked pharmacist taking shortcuts by not having a second set of eyes check their work.

When a pharmacy error occurs, and the patient is injured as a result, the injured patient or their family members may hold the pharmacy financially responsible for any costs associated with the injuries, including medical expenses, time lost at work, and any pain and suffering. Anyone considering a Maryland or Virginia pharmacy error lawsuit should speak with a dedicated pharmacy error attorney immediately, since these cases must be filed within a strict statute of limitations.

Are You a Victim of a Maryland Pharmacy Error?

If you or a loved one has recently been injured due to a pharmacist’s mistake, you may be entitled to monetary compensation through a Maryland pharmacy error lawsuit. The dedicated and experienced Maryland pharmacy error attorneys at the law firm of Lebowitz & Mzhen Personal Injury Lawyers have extensive experience helping injured clients seek the compensation they need and deserve from the parties responsible for their injuries. Call 410-654-3600 to schedule a free consultation with an attorney today. Calling is free, and we will not bill you for our services unless we can help you obtain the compensation you deserve.

More Blog Posts:

Pharmacy Error Rates May Be Artificially Low Due to a Lack of Mandatory Reporting Requirements, Pharmacy Error Injury Lawyer Blog, June 29, 2017.

Pharmacy Errors Involving Expired Medication, Pharmacy Error Injury Lawyer Blog, July 11, 2017.

Contact Information